View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 8x8 timed 

Posted on: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Post 8x8 timed
Missed by 1.04 seconds [cursing] on today's 8x8 timed

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 am

Post Re: 8x8 timed
You were the person who encouraged me to do the times and get the 28 pts / week - I am a subscriber. Thank you for that.

I hate it when one misses that extra point by a hair. I hated it when I had my best time, a time of close 4:30 and was not in the top 10. This happened a long time ago.

People are getting faster. Their times are insanely fast.

I wonder if there will ever be a time when the super fast solver will dominate the "Leaders Board." They can get a great number of points and climb slowly but surely,

Today, I was very surprised that I even was on the board.
I received a puzzle that was not easy. I just wanted to finish it.
I was shocked [scared] that I was in the top 10.

I am always surprised if I get in the top 10.

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:23 am

Hi eclipsegirl: I sometimes check to see what are the times to beat, but lately the worst time has been 4+minutes .....so I did not bother to check and while I was doing that puzzle, once I had passed the 5 minute mark I sort of relaxed ( not anxiously looking for the next set of numbers) and completed the puzzle........could have easily done it in less than 6.... hence the [cursing] !!!
Glad to see you are picking up some extra points and it was nice to see your name at the top of World standings for the 7 day total awhile ago........probably due to some completed puzzle book [thumbup]

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 am

beaker wrote:
Missed by 1.04 seconds [cursing] on today's 8x8 timed

Sorry beaker! It had never even occurred to me that I might have been in yesterday's top 10 until I saw your post.

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:36 am

Kinda "funny" that a 6/28 would be in top 10 where as on most days the 10th highest would be a sub 5.......also, it was puzzling to me that jpoos didn't even have a time entered for that puzzle

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 am

Yes, strange alright. Definitely a totally unexpected bonus point. I think when I did mt fastest time, I didn't even make the top ten.

Patrick may have some way of adjusting the difficulty level of the timed puzzles (while keeping all the puzzles on a particular day at a relatively consistent level of difficulty) and maybe he does this from time to time to add a bit of variety.

As for jpoos, maybe his computer crashed when he was doing the 8x8?

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Nah my computer didn't crash, I sometimes just don't bother to solve the puzzle when it goes wrong. The same goes for smaller puzzles (and that happens more often since I guess more), which is why I sometimes don't have a time for the 6x6 or the 5x5 even.

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:45 pm

jpoos wrote:
Nah my computer didn't crash, I sometimes just don't bother to solve the puzzle when it goes wrong. The same goes for smaller puzzles (and that happens more often since I guess more), which is why I sometimes don't have a time for the 6x6 or the 5x5 even.

I guess my priorities are different to yours. If I get stuck, I start all over again and keep going even if it takes 20 minutes or more. Mind you, I only do that on the 8x8 or on the smaller puzzles if I have already quit out of 3 previous attempts.

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:44 pm

@ beaker -
This was my secret for being on the leader's board.

I was on vacation for three weeks. When on vacation, I do as many of the dailies as I can and then get mad when I can't do them all due to vacation activities, namely scuba diving.
Then when I return home, I start on all the Extras. I get them to where I need to put in the last number and save them. I did this for three weeks worth of Extras. I turned them in on the same day. Viola.

I need to start turning in some more book puzzles. [blink]

Someday, I will reach 100K

Posted on: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
I need to start turning in some more book puzzles. [blink]

I have a 20 or so puzzle backlog in my Advanced Puzzles II Book. I am getting around to it though... I spent months not submitting any of the puzzles all the while building up an even bigger bank of solved but not submitted puzzles... Be prepared for a spike in my weekly points [thumbsup]

Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next