View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 best 8x8 ever 

Posted on: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:38 pm

Post Re: best 8x8 ever
Rather than start my own topic, I thought I would continue this one. Apologies to Beaker

Today, I got my best time on the 8 x 8 -- 3:46

It got me to the 6th spot as I finished, so only two pts. If I stay in the top. I hope I do

I am constantly amazed at the speeds those speedsters regularly do.
I congratulate on your skill.

Once every two months or so getting one extra point is where I stand.

Posted on: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:50 am

No apologies needed......after all that is why I started this post so I could tell everyone how good it felt to finally break the 4min barrier and so that others, like yourself, could tell the rest of us about their best time and how good it made them feel......so, congrats (you bested me by 6 seconds and (with any luck)) I look forward to the day when I can get below 3:40 [biggrin]........a 4:39 today (so far good for 6th place but am sure it will be obliterated by end of day)......sure is good for the heart rate tho [smile]

Posted on: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46 pm

beaker wrote:
Congrats to marblevolcano......the shorter times must be catching as I finally posted a sub 4 minute time for an 8x8......talk about heart rate going up when I realized with 3 minutes gone that I had only a few cages to go [biggrin]!!!

Got my first sub 4 today - just about. My time was 3:59.993 - talk about cutting it close!

Posted on: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:11 am

Congrats Paul

Posted on: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 am

Just curious but as the timed 8 x 8 is only open to subscribers & you only get one crack at it, Does everyone do the same puzzle each day or is it just a random selection ?

Posted on: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:15 pm

ineedaname wrote:
Just curious but as the timed 8 x 8 is only open to subscribers & you only get one crack at it, Does everyone do the same puzzle each day or is it just a random selection ?

It's a randomly selected puzzle from a pool of about 2000 puzzles of similar difficulty.

Posted on: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:46 pm

pnm wrote:
ineedaname wrote:

It's a randomly selected puzzle from a pool of about 2000 puzzles of similar difficulty.

I guess it would have to be random. Otherwise, someone could 'game' the system by getting someone else to solve it and then copying their solution.

Posted on: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks for clearing that up & congrats to those that have cracked the 4 minute barrier & hopefully I will join you shortly. I knocked up my best time earlier this week with a 4.01.315. I know how athletes felt all those years ago getting close to the 4 minute mile but never breaking it. On a more amazing note i'm currently sitting in 9th spot with 1 Hour & 40 Mins remaining in the 8x8 timed for today which I'm pretty sure would be my first ever extra point from timed puzzles (not 100% sure as I don't usually check as I do the Calcudokus for fun & don't really care about the points).

The beauty of these puzzles is that everyone gets something different from them, Personally I get the enjoyment from how I've improved from the first time I stumbled onto this great site & struggled to do the 5 x 5 to getting better (Thanks mainly to CLM for his awesome hints & strategy guides) & being able to solve the 6 x 6 hard on a regular basis to now being able to knock over the 10 x 10 Extra puzzles (I've always loved the 10 x 10 Friday columned puzzle & would be my favourite of the Week).

With the timed puzzles I know i'm no chance against the speedsters but my own challenge each day is to get under 1000 for my total score across the 4 timed sizes first go at each puzzle (i.e. add up the four times for what the puzzle was for my # fastest time) which i've been doing pretty regularly now so might drop it to say 800.

All the best for the New Year from Down Under to all my fellow Calcudoku enthusiasts.

Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2