View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Extra Large Killer Sudoku 

Posted on: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Post Extra Large Killer Sudoku
Here is another extra large puzzle, this time it is a Twin Killer Sudoku 25x25.
I know that this is going to be too large for most people to find interesting to solve, but I enjoyed creating it so here it is. If you are looking for something different (and you are a little crazy) then have a go at solving it, it is easier than it looks.

Posted on: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Post Re: Extra Large Killer Sudoku
Wow. This looks great, although I have no idea how to solve it [omg] I mean, physically, not intellectually [biggrin]
Two options come to my mind:
1. Printing out both puzzles and applying one sheet of tracing paper to them (in turns).
2. Superposing the puzzles in a graphics editor and switching between two layers (solution will be in the third, topmost layer).

Any more suggestions?..

Profile WWW

Posted on: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 am

Quote:
I have no idea how to solve it [omg] I mean, physically, not intellectually [biggrin]

I had to solve it to check that there was only one solution, so it is possible, but probably not practical.

if you complete the puzzle let me know, maybe there should be a way of giving you some of my points if you are crazy enough to complete this puzzle.

Posted on: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 am

OK, I think I've just finished it. Took me two or three evenings; I didn't note the time but probably about 10 hours or so.
Indeed, it was not difficult. I'd even say, the process of comparing two grids and filling in the numbers was rather relaxing. Like assembling a huge jigsaw puzzle [biggrin]

michaele wrote:
I had to solve it to check that there was only one solution

How exactly did you do it? On paper? In MS Paint?
I tried to arrange a game field in MS Excel (e.g. I enter a number into a cell, the other cell fetches it automatically), but it was very inconvenient, so I got back to Photoshop layers.

I'll send you my solution via PM; I hope there are no blunders.

Profile WWW

Posted on: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 am

Well done ambidexter, your solution is correct, 10 hours to solve the puzzle seems pretty good to me.

To solve the puzzle myself I used my own software that allows me to work on the puzzle in a similar way to how this website works. The screen looks just like the puzzle in the picture I posted above, this makes it much quicker than solving on paper, but I remember it still took me a long time to solve this puzzle, even though I knew the solution.

I might try to create another 25x25 puzzle, and I will make it more difficult.

Posted on: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Oh. Right. Own software. Why didn't I think of that?.. Probably because I didn't feel like reinventing the wheel (I hope this is the right idiom; in Russian we call it “inventing a bicycle”) and believed that there should be some well-known handy way [mellow]

Now that I know there is none, I might develop something myself.
This is how I see it: http://seizewa.ru/makeshift/calcudoku_twin_mockup.htm
Once I've added the save&restore feature (parsing a specially formatted text string and placing its contents into the 625 text areas or vice versa shouldn't be that hard), this interface will become more convenient than Photoshop [biggrin]

Under what license are your puzzles distributed, michaele? I wouldn't want to violate anyone's copyrights while testing my script [rolleyes]

Profile WWW

Posted on: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Looks good, very glad to see other users of this site are interested in my puzzles.

Quote:
Under what license are your puzzles distributed, michaele? I wouldn't want to violate anyone's copyrights while testing my script

No problem using my puzzles, I enjoy the challenge of creating them and I am more than happy for you to use them.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]