View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Another bug in user created puzzle. 

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 am

Post bertoldo's 20180630 9x9
I have a solution to the puzzle as rendered. But only the 11+ at a1b1 shows as correct. Even the single cells flip to red when I enter the specified number - a 2 in e1 shows as incorrect.

So, there's something about Italy that needs to be considered and used to modify the solution? hmmm.

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:17 am

Post Re: bertoldo's 20180630 9x9
jaek wrote:
I have a solution to the puzzle as rendered. But only the 11+ at a1b1 shows as correct. Even the single cells flip to red when I enter the specified number - a 2 in e1 shows as incorrect.

So, there's something about Italy that needs to be considered and used to modify the solution? hmmm.

I've found it very tricky and haven't got very far in terms of solving it. But I noticed the cage numbers flipping to red, except for the 1 in g7. Also, the 6 in c8 causes the cage number to flip to red, but a 1 does not. Curiouser and curiouser...

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:20 am

Post Another bug in user created puzzle.
Hi Patrick,

I think I have found a bug in a user created puzzle (30-06-2018).

Almost all clues (except for a solitary cell with the clue '1') give a red colour when you fill them in. This applies to one cell clues (such as '2') as well.

I think I have solved the puzzle, but the puzzle does not accept my solution. I could have made an error (the screen is filled with red coloured clues, so I could have missed it).

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:26 am

I have had the same problem, I have solved it but many of the numbers have turned red. Maybe there is a clue that I missed with the reference to Italy and the world cup.

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:44 am

michaele wrote:
I have had the same problem, I have solved it but many of the numbers have turned red. Maybe there is a clue that I missed with the reference to Italy and the world cup.

I've also solved it, but my solution is not being accepted. I think the reference to the World Cup Is just an acknowledgement of the fact that they didn't qualify for the finals this time around. First time since 1958 that they haven't qualified. They lost 1-0 on aggregate to Sweden in the playoffs.

I setting out the above details just in case it has any relevance to the solution, but I don't think it's a cryptic clue requiring some tweaking of the numbers. What seems more likely is that a pre-existing grid was used (in terms of the positioning of the cages) and the programming was not amended to reflect the different solutions.

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 am

Post Re: Another bug in user created puzzle.
Yes, sorry about that, I should have tested it.

I immediately realized it was because of the order in which the cages were specified: it has
to be top to bottom, left to right.

I don't specify this on the submission page for user created puzzles, so if the cages are
in a more random order (as was the case for this one), the error checking breaks.. [mellow]

I'll fix this now.

edit: this has been fixed. I'll suspend user-submitted puzzles for now until I have some better
automatic error-checking software. Most puzzles go back and forth between me and the creator
4 or more times until all the errors are ironed out...

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:36 am

pnm wrote:
Yes, sorry about that, I should have tested it.

I immediately realized it was because of the order in which the cages were specified: it has
to be top to bottom, left to right.

I don't specify this on the submission page for user created puzzles, so if the cages are
in a more random order (as was the case for this one), the error checking breaks.. [mellow]

I'll fix this now.

edit: this has been fixed. I'll suspend user-submitted puzzles for now until I have some better
automatic error-checking software. Most puzzles go back and forth between me and the creator
4 or more times until all the errors are ironed out...

Thanks Patrick

Will you be republishing the same puzzle when the problems have been resolved? Or does it need to be completely rewritten?

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:15 pm

paulv66 wrote:
Will you be republishing the same puzzle when the problems have been resolved? Or does it need to be completely rewritten?

?

it should still be there, same place, but now working :-)

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:27 pm

pnm wrote:
paulv66 wrote:

?

it should still be there, same place, but now working :-)

Hi Patrick

It wasn't there when I posted earlier, but it appeared the next time I went onto the site.

Posted on: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:33 am

Yeah it works now. Thanks for fixing it Patrick.

It has to be said, it was a really nice puzzle.

Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next