View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 server clock was off.. 

Posted on: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 am

server clock was off..
I'm surprised no-one noticed / reported this: the server clock was off by more than a minute (!)

This should be fixed now.

Posted on: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:25 am

Post Re: server clock was off..
I'd say, it's still more than one minute slow (I've just checked: it was 01:23:00 in my system and 00:23:05 at https://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_NL.aspx, but 00:21:48 at Calcudoku).

Besides, there is a period of time when the clock is an hour wrong, not just a minute.
At 01:00 AM Moscow Time (= midnight in Amsterdam) it says that new puzzles will appear in 1 hour 0 minutes, then at 01:01 it starts recomputing totals and at approximately 01:02 displays new puzzles and “Tomorrow's puzzles will appear in 23 hour(s) and 58 minute(s).”
So, where does this extra hour come from?
I've noticed this about a week ago. At first I thought it was DST shift or something, but it's too early for Amsterdam to switch to winter time, and Moscow never switches, it's GMT+3 all year round.

Profile WWW

Posted on: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:06 am

I also noticed this. At 6:00 PM the clock showed "1 hour until tomorrow's puzzles" but when I checked back a couple minutes later it showed the new puzzles. Like ambidexter, I also originally thought that Daylight Savings was the culprit, but no...

Posted on: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:58 am

I too thought it might be European Daylight Savings Time and checked it but that was not the reason for the clock showing 1 hour 0 minutes before next puzzles to be loaded so went back to puzzles and "there they were" all set to go [confused] but happy [smile]

Posted on: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:50 am

ambidexter wrote:
I'd say, it's still more than one minute slow (I've just checked: it was 01:23:00 in my system and 00:23:05 at https://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_NL.aspx, but 00:21:48 at Calcudoku).

It looks like I didn't start the right "time server daemon" the previous time this happened
("ntpdate" instead of "ntpd", the first one is being retired),
which is where the ~ minute difference came from.

ambidexter wrote:
Besides, there is a period of time when the clock is an hour wrong, not just a minute.
At 01:00 AM Moscow Time (= midnight in Amsterdam) it says that new puzzles will appear in 1 hour 0 minutes, then at 01:01 it starts recomputing totals and at approximately 01:02 displays new puzzles and “Tomorrow's puzzles will appear in 23 hour(s) and 58 minute(s).”
So, where does this extra hour come from?

No idea [omg]

Maybe I would have been able to find a cause when this was actually happening, but now all seems in order..

Posted on: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:29 pm

Not sure if it is the same issue as above, but this is what just happened: a few hours ago I opened a Calcudoku in a browser tab and simply left it there. The countdown kept ticking, and now it says,
Quote:
Tomorrow's puzzles will appear in 24 hour(s) and 32 minute(s).

On refreshing the page or opening a new one, I see the correct time: 0 hour(s) and 32 minute(s).

Profile WWW

Posted on: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:08 am

ambidexter wrote:
Not sure if it is the same issue as above, but this is what just happened: a few hours ago I opened a Calcudoku in a browser tab and simply left it there. The countdown kept ticking, and now it says,
Quote:
Tomorrow's puzzles will appear in 24 hour(s) and 32 minute(s).

On refreshing the page or opening a new one, I see the correct time: 0 hour(s) and 32 minute(s).

Looks like a small bug, I'll test around midnight [blink]

Posted on: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm

pnm wrote:
Looks like a small bug, I'll test around midnight [blink]

I looked at this, and am not seeing it.

I'm thinking it's related to the timezone the "local" PC is set at (i.e. your time zone).

I'll change my timezone to CET + 1 (I'm guessing that is your timezone), and will test again.

Posted on: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:03 am

pnm wrote:
I'll change my timezone to CET + 1 (I'm guessing that is your timezone), and will test again.

I always get confused when it comes to calculating my time zone with respect to Pacific Time, Greenwich, UTC, CET, etc, but one thing for sure: half of the year new puzzles appear when it's 1 AM in Moscow, and during the other half they come out at 2 AM. Because Russia has canceled DST.
Right now they are issued at 1 AM.

Update: OK, now the counter is frozen at:
Quote:
Tomorrow's puzzles will appear in 0 hour(s) and 0 minute(s).

Update #2: could it be a browser-related issue? I remember one of my first experiments with JavaScript: my HTML page displayed current year, and in Internet Explorer it worked fine, but when I switched to Firefox it showed… say, 1905 instead of 2005.
I'll try testing the counter in different browsers tomorrow.

Profile WWW

Posted on: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:23 pm

No, it's not browser-related.
https://i.imgur.com/YVwaS7y.png (warning: huge image! 500 KB, 3840×1440 px)
Left to right: Chrome, Firefox, IE11.
Up until midnight (Moscow time), everything seemed fine. 1 hour and 1 minute left.
At midnight, all three windows showed 25 hours and 0 minutes.
Looks like the counter forgets to increment the date.

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next