View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Deleting penciled in digits 

Posted on: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Post Deleting penciled in digits
I just upgraded my older iPad pro to OS 12.1.4

It was a big change in the OS. I had avoided doing upgrades for yrs.

I use the largest cell size when doing puzzles.

When doing puzzles that are 7 x 7 or larger, it is possible to get two rows of penciled in digits.
When I delete a digit in the lower row, it does not disappear immediately. I have to leave the cell and then the penciled in digits that i deleted is removed (the cell is updated).
The lag does not occur when deleting a digit in the first (upper) row of penciled in digits.

It wasnt too hard to work around this with a 12 x 12, but I am concerned when doing a 15 x 15.

Posted on: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Post Re: Deleting penciled in digits
Ok, thanks for letting me know,
I'll test here on an iPad..

Posted on: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Another observation:

When deleting penciled in digits, if I start delete enough in the first row, the larger digits come to the upper row, except for the largest digit. It remains in the lower row. I can delete if from the upper row, but it wont leave the ower row until I move out of the cell.

Posted on: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Finished the difficult KS, wrote the second post, and went to the 10 x 10. And now the odd behavior has been corrected.

Thank you

Posted on: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Yesterday, it appeared to be working fine. But this morning were slightly off again.

I am doing Sat 9 x9. I decided to post this while doing the puzzle.
I use the largest cell size, and did not bother with testing other cell sizes.

With a 9x9, if one pencils in all the digits, 7, 8, and 9 are in the lower row.
I can delete 2 of the these digits and they disappear. When I delete the third digit, it remains in the lower row until I leave the cell.

If there are two rows of penciled in digits, and I delete smaller value digits in the upper row, then one digit remains in the lower row.
In this case of a 9x9, there can be two 9s (or 7s or 8s), one in each row. Then if I delete the 9, it disappears from the upper row, but not the lower row until I leave the cell.

Posted on: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Today (sunday) gave me another chance to work on larger puzzles and make observations.

If I completely pencil in a cell with all 12 numbers and start to delete numbers, the last number in the lower row (2nd row) remains.

However I opened a second tab, and loaded this website and then everything was perfect with deleting penciled in numbers.. So either Patrick was working on this as I wrote this, or something happened when I loaded the website a second time.

Very confused [confused]

ETA: Went back to the first window I opened and returned to the just started 12 x 12, and the strange behavior with deleting penciled in digits remains.

Went back to second window with the saved, just started 12 x 12 and now the wierd behavior is happening there.

Even more confused that before [confused] [confused]

Posted on: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 pm

This is just very bizarre.

I know have three windows open, each with this website.
They are the 2nd, 3rd and 4th windows that I opened and loaded.
I am testing on the 12 x 12, largest cell size.
I am working and testing and windows 2 and 3, and writing posts using window 4.

(I think) The first time I pencil in a cell with all the numbers, and then delete from the largest number to the smallest, the last number to remain in the secod row deletes normally, but when I repeat this test, the last number to remain in the second row does not disappear, even as I progess to smaller valued numbers.

It also seems as if this behavior is only part of the second row, and not the third row which is used with penciling in all 12 numbers in the cell that is the first cell of a cage. (Not sure that terminology is correct. I am refering to the cell that has the target number and operation in the upeer left corner)

I am going to work on just solving the 12 x12. I will return to testing if you (Patrick) can direct me in what you want me to do.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]