View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New feature "Puzzlers active in the half past hour" 

Posted on: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Post New feature "Puzzlers active in the half past hour"
Hi, Patrick:

I am curious about how this new feature works. Is it continuous (looks like continuous, as a FIFO list) or initialized every half an hour at 00:30, 01:00, ...?, and if continuous, how an individual puzzler, let's say "bitwiseor" from a certain country "C" is being managed? that is, if this puzzler does not send solutions in 40 minutes, the flag of country C would appear again as soon as "bitwiseor" sends a new solution?, etc.

Besides showing the total number of active flags at the end, wouldn't it be more concise to show only once the flag of the country "C" (followed by a number, in parenthesis inmediately after, variating up and down according to the presence of active puzzlers of country "C") so reducing the total number of flags?.

Posted on: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Post Re: New feature "Puzzlers active in the half past hour"
clm wrote:
I am curious about how this new feature works. Is it continuous (looks like continuous, as a FIFO list) or initialized every half an hour at 00:30, 01:00, ...?, and if continuous, how an individual puzzler, let's say "bitwiseor" from a certain country "C" is being managed? that is, if this puzzler does not send solutions in 40 minutes, the flag of country C would appear again as soon as "bitwiseor" sends a new solution?, etc.

It's a list of flags of all the people who logged in at most half an hour ago (and haven't logged out, of course), or who submitted a solution at most half an hour ago (of any type of puzzle, i.e. regular, bonus, book, timed).
clm wrote:
Besides showing the total number of active flags at the end, wouldn't it be more concise to show only once the flag of the country "C" (followed by a number, in parenthesis inmediately after

Absolutely. Once the site becomes popular I'll be forced to do that :-)

Patrick

Posted on: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:50 am

I find this new addition unnecessary, the site has too much info which I feel has nothing to do with the games any more. I wonder if other puzzlers feel the same way.

Posted on: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:03 am

rosierosie wrote:
I find this new addition unnecessary, the site has too much info which I feel has nothing to do with the games any more. I wonder if other puzzlers feel the same way.

Well yes, it's unnecessary, but I don't think it makes the gaming experience any less. It's a great site. It's just interesting to see who's been on.

Posted on: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:57 am

I think it's interesting information which adds to the 'human' element of the site. It gives the illusion that we lead well-rounded, cosmopolitan lives instead of being isolated in our underground cyber-bunkers. [biggrin]

Posted on: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:44 am

I too like it and I often wonder which one I am so on some occasions I'll actually log off and then log on again to see which flag represents me [thumbsup] ......I assume that those that have the highest number of days of participation are listed first......YES? [unsure]

Posted on: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:52 am

rosierosie wrote:

Yes, many features on the site are unnecessary (strictly speaking, the site
itself is unnecessary as well).

And definitely, all the additions related to the users (the rankings, forum, who's online)
have nothing to do with the games.

Patrick

Posted on: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:54 am

beaker wrote:
I too like it and I often wonder which one I am so on some occasions I'll actually log off and then log on again to see which flag represents me [thumbsup] ......I assume that those that have the highest number of days of participation are listed first......YES? [unsure]

That's an idea.
Right now I think it's the default ordering in the database (which is by signup time,
i.e. when the account was created).

Patrick

Posted on: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:37 am

pnm wrote:
Right now I think it's the default ordering in the database (which is by signup time,
i.e. when the account was created).

I just updated this feature such that the flags are ordered by time of their last activity
(most recent at the end).

Patrick

Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]