View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 another subscription level maybe? 

Posted on: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:57 pm

Post another subscription level maybe?
my suggestion for a higher subscription level would allow members to have 7 days to solve all puzzles that now have 1 ,2 or 3 days to solve. This would allow us to have the freedom to to take days off from solving puzzles without missing the points by doing them later. This would also allow us to change the way we solve puzzles; meaning, we could have a day where we solve only 4x4's and 5x5's then another day where we solve only killers. There would be numerous possibilities and I think it would a lot more fun.

Posted on: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Post Re: another subscription level maybe?
Thanks for the suggestion :-)

What to do with the solutions though?

Posted on: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:51 pm

pnm wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion :-)

What to do with the solutions though?

I don't think it would work unless everyone had to wait a week to see solutions to problems from previous days.

Posted on: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:02 pm

I very much like this idea. There have been times when I would have loved to that option.

As to the solutions, just delay them for a week.

Or take a survey and ask how many people use the solutions feature?

Posted on: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:10 pm

eclipsegirl wrote:
Or take a survey and ask how many people use the solutions feature?

Because a page with a puzzle solution is a separate "web request", I could actually measure
how much it's used [sleep]

Posted on: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:27 pm

The above idea is appealing especially for Mondays when I feel overwhelmed by the number of puzzles to be solved [smile]

I used to look at the solutions for specific puzzles but I think I have only used it once (just recently) in the past couple of years!!!

Posted on: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:34 pm

The idea is original and perhaps it could be applied to the regular 4x4's and 5x5's, lets's say the easy puzzles (delaying the solution for a week, of course).

Being a subscriber has several advantages: access to extra puzzles (the puzzles themselves as a gift and 30 days for the solution), 2 more attempts for timed puzzles in 4x4's, 5x5's and 6x6's, some additional regular puzzles not accesible to non-subscribers, … . But having 7 days to solve larger puzzles or puzzles that actually require 3 days (12x12's on Thursdays and Sundays) or 2 days (9x9's on Tuesday, and Killer Sudoku's on Fridays) would represent an excessive advantage with respect to non-subscribers, in other words, it does not look very fair IMHO. All these puzzles are exceptions to the general rule, are more difficult and time consuming, and that's the reason why they have different conditions (particularly having two days for the 9x9's on Tuesdays is a very recent decision).

I understand that it is very frustrating that some specific days we may have trips, weddings, picnics, … , and we can not complete all puzzles before 24:00 hours CET, but this situation is common to all puzzlers. The philosophy of a site like this is scoring points within some determined period of time (in our case 24 hours), the philosophy of books is different ("infinite" time to score points), etc. In some way the extra puzzles (only for subscribers) are similar to book puzzles (you can do the last 30 days during a vacation, i.e., … [smile]). But modifying the time limit for all puzzles would impact on several other aspects (difficulty level, … ). In the other hand, "curious" people, non-users, probably would like to see the solution soon, that is, the following day of the attempt, otherwise they would probably loose interest in the site.

Posted on: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:13 pm

CLM,
I understand your concern about giving too much advantage to subscribers. It is a valid point and needs to be considered.

For me, I can think of only one member who openly stated they have an issue with the subscription cost as they are a teen, and don’t have access to a credit card or Paypal.

From my reading of Panther’s original post, this feature would not necessarily be available with a “regular” subscription, but a would require an additional fee. I would likely pay that fee.

I would like this feature out of pure selfishness. I usually take two trips a year, and when on those vacations, I have trouble keeping up with the dailies on certain days. Whereas other days, I have extra time and could make up a missed daily puzzle. My vacations are short enough that I can avoid doing the EXTRAs until the vacation has ended.

I am not a speedster. This feature would keep me an advantage when it comes to points. I would be able to make up a skipped / missed puzzle that you, or others accomplished in the 24 hr period. You have a right to question whether or not it is fair.

I hope others join in this discussion.

Posted on: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:39 pm

I admit that the idea to have more time to resolve puzzle interests me because I don't have enough time during my vacation when I'm going on a trip and I'm frustrated because I can't finish all puzzles.
But I also understand clm, we can accept to have only one or two days to resolve some puzzles, it's the rule...
Otherwise, personally, I never look at solutions because I always finish puzzle I started.
Sorry for my bad english...

Posted on: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 pm

Am not in favor of a 2 tier system that would allow SUBSCRIBERS (an advantage over non-SUBSCRIBERS) to "cache" puzzles for a certain time period because they do not want to be constrained by the time limits already in place......after all this IS only just a game but me thinks some are taking it far too seriously......there is another choice of course, and that is if it is THAT important to you, then do not go on a holiday.....that way you would be able to do all the puzzles in the alloted time just like the rest of us [biggrin]

Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next