View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:33 pm



← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page




Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Another bug in user created puzzle. 
Author Message
User avatar

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:47 am




Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 pm
Post bertoldo's 20180630 9x9
I have a solution to the puzzle as rendered. But only the 11+ at a1b1 shows as correct. Even the single cells flip to red when I enter the specified number - a 2 in e1 shows as incorrect.

So, there's something about Italy that needs to be considered and used to modify the solution? hmmm.


Profile

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:17 am




Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 pm
Post Re: bertoldo's 20180630 9x9
jaek wrote:
I have a solution to the puzzle as rendered. But only the 11+ at a1b1 shows as correct. Even the single cells flip to red when I enter the specified number - a 2 in e1 shows as incorrect.

So, there's something about Italy that needs to be considered and used to modify the solution? hmmm.


I've found it very tricky and haven't got very far in terms of solving it. But I noticed the cage numbers flipping to red, except for the 1 in g7. Also, the 6 in c8 causes the cage number to flip to red, but a 1 does not. Curiouser and curiouser...


Profile

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:20 am




Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm
Post Another bug in user created puzzle.
Hi Patrick,

I think I have found a bug in a user created puzzle (30-06-2018).

Almost all clues (except for a solitary cell with the clue '1') give a red colour when you fill them in. This applies to one cell clues (such as '2') as well.

I think I have solved the puzzle, but the puzzle does not accept my solution. I could have made an error (the screen is filled with red coloured clues, so I could have missed it).


Profile

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:26 am




Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:52 am
Post Re: bertoldo's 20180630 9x9
I have had the same problem, I have solved it but many of the numbers have turned red. Maybe there is a clue that I missed with the reference to Italy and the world cup.


Profile

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:44 am




Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 pm
Post Re: bertoldo's 20180630 9x9
michaele wrote:
I have had the same problem, I have solved it but many of the numbers have turned red. Maybe there is a clue that I missed with the reference to Italy and the world cup.


I've also solved it, but my solution is not being accepted. I think the reference to the World Cup Is just an acknowledgement of the fact that they didn't qualify for the finals this time around. First time since 1958 that they haven't qualified. They lost 1-0 on aggregate to Sweden in the playoffs.

I setting out the above details just in case it has any relevance to the solution, but I don't think it's a cryptic clue requiring some tweaking of the numbers. What seems more likely is that a pre-existing grid was used (in terms of the positioning of the cages) and the programming was not amended to reflect the different solutions.


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 am




Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: Another bug in user created puzzle.
Yes, sorry about that, I should have tested it.

I immediately realized it was because of the order in which the cages were specified: it has
to be top to bottom, left to right.

I don't specify this on the submission page for user created puzzles, so if the cages are
in a more random order (as was the case for this one), the error checking breaks.. [mellow]

I'll fix this now.

edit: this has been fixed. I'll suspend user-submitted puzzles for now until I have some better
automatic error-checking software. Most puzzles go back and forth between me and the creator
4 or more times until all the errors are ironed out...


Profile

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:36 am




Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 pm
Post Re: Another bug in user created puzzle.
pnm wrote:
Yes, sorry about that, I should have tested it.

I immediately realized it was because of the order in which the cages were specified: it has
to be top to bottom, left to right.

I don't specify this on the submission page for user created puzzles, so if the cages are
in a more random order (as was the case for this one), the error checking breaks.. [mellow]

I'll fix this now.

edit: this has been fixed. I'll suspend user-submitted puzzles for now until I have some better
automatic error-checking software. Most puzzles go back and forth between me and the creator
4 or more times until all the errors are ironed out...


Thanks Patrick

Will you be republishing the same puzzle when the problems have been resolved? Or does it need to be completely rewritten?


Profile
User avatar

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:15 pm




Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm
Post Re: Another bug in user created puzzle.
paulv66 wrote:
Will you be republishing the same puzzle when the problems have been resolved? Or does it need to be completely rewritten?

?

it should still be there, same place, but now working :-)


Profile

Posted on: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:27 pm




Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 pm
Post Re: Another bug in user created puzzle.
pnm wrote:
paulv66 wrote:
Will you be republishing the same puzzle when the problems have been resolved? Or does it need to be completely rewritten?

?

it should still be there, same place, but now working :-)


Hi Patrick

It wasn't there when I posted earlier, but it appeared the next time I went onto the site.


Profile

Posted on: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:33 am




Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm
Post Re: Another bug in user created puzzle.
Yeah it works now. Thanks for fixing it Patrick.

It has to be said, it was a really nice puzzle.


Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All forum contents © Patrick Min, and by the post authors.

Forum software phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.